Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Rowany Festival Garb AS 51 #2

Colours and fabrics: or, why I'm probably never going to be a Laurel


When choosing fabrics, I went with linen, as it is easy to dye and I can wear it without getting hives like I do with wool. Although there is not much in the way of evidence for linen garments beyond smocks, coifs, and aprons and the like; I would like to be able to wear my garb comfortably.

I just heard my dreams of being Laureled being dashed against the rocks.  

I purchased two weights of linen, heavy (for the kirtles, in order to provide support) and medium (for the overgowns). I hand-dyed three out of the four lots of linen I picked up, basing the colours on the colours represented in the extant paintings. The subsequent palette is something that works well together, and it means I can mix and match the kirtles and overgowns. 

Brown linen for undergown (dyed)
Red linen for undergown
Green linen for overgown (dyed)
Blue linen for overgown (dyed)
The full palette

No comments:

Post a Comment